Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

Are you in the Scissterhood?



This is the new track by Scissor Sisters with (SUPPOSEDLY?) Azealia Banks (aka. Krystal Pepsy). Banks is American, from Harlem, and laid down her debut track a couple of months ago, '212' with Lazy Jay. joined with Scissor Sisters for their new track.

However, I read further that Azealia Banks is NOT behind this track. Instead, it 'Krystal Pepsy' is the name of the DJ duo creation of Jake Shears and Jeremy Lingvall.*

*http://pitchfork.com/news/44964-video-scissor-sisters-team-up-with-azealia-banks-for-shady-love/

I still am left wondering who Krystal Pepsy is, but one thing is for sure: this track is HOT! I can't stop dancing to and humming it wherever I am. I hope that soon it will be available on I-tunes for download. I am also wondering if this means a new CD by the Scissor Sisters is in the works. Or, this side single project presents an opportunity for the Scissor Sisters to collaborate with artists in other genres and break even more barriers.

I have to say that the Scissor Sisters are my FAVORITE new rock/pop/funk/dance band around. I first picked up their debut CD at a Newbury Comics in Boston (on a whim, might I add) back in the fall of 2004 (I have that moment etched to my memory). Who would have ever guessed that my whim would lead to an 8 year courting relationship. Usually, bands are fickle in my world. They release a great song or two. Maybe if they're lucky I fall in love with a whole entire album, not just a few tracks. But, three CD's later, and I'm still smitten. The Scissor Sisters not only make great music, but their videos are insane!

I am also a sucker for great graphics and killer music videos. I am the MTV generation, so I expect a great video for every song. Just playing instruments with lame graphics is not enough anymore. Videos HAVE to tell a story or at least give you unforgettable visuals and soulful biography behind the music. Some of the greatest in my opinion are: 'November Rain' by Guns n' Roses, '; 'Runaway Train' by Soul Asylum, 'No Rain' by Blind Melon, 'Heart-Shaped Box' by Nirvana, 'Like a Prayer' by Madonna, 'We Didn't Start the Fire' by Billy Joel, and even 'Paparazzi' by Lady GaGa. These videos sear images into my memory.

The Scissor Sisters are MASTERS of an amazing music video. They are one of the FEW bands that can make a video make a song even more powerful and sensational. In their videos, the words match perfectly to the rhythm and visuals. It's like a circus for your senses. Also, their videos are strange and unusual and like Wynonna Ryder says as Lydia Deats in the 1988 film, 'Beetlejuice': 'Live people ignore the strange and unusual. I myself am strange and unusual.' I'm sure Tim Burton himself would appreciate the outlandish and brilliantly bizarre videos of the Scissor Sisters.

Even their 'Fire with Fire', where they sing on top of a moving platform stage down Manhattan's streets at night, is incredible and fits the song. Not many bands can get away with just playing their instruments like in some bad 80's hair band video. Every single video I watch by the Scissor Sisters is just mesmerizing.



I am very lucky to say that I've had the chance to see the Scissor Sisters live in concert. And, it was one of the top ten concerts I've ever been to; these guys put on an amazing show! Keep in mind that I've seen Dylan, The Who, Simon and Garfunkel, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Matisyahu, Idan Raichel Project, the list goes on and on. I've even seen a few festivals like Ozzfest, Bonnaroo, Warp Tour. Hi, my name is Rafi and I'm a concert junkie. I love a good live show!

When I saw Scissor Sisters back in 2010 at Terminal 5 in NYC, I walked away energized. The band is made up of Jake Shears (Sellards), Babydaddy (Scott Hoffman), Ana Matronic (Ana Lynch), Del Marquis (Derek Gruen), Paddy Boom (Patrick Seacor), and Randy Real (Randy Schrager). They have a huge GLBTQ following (but I'm straight..and don't care). In fact, when I saw them live, I felt like I was in a gay club. Though, what I notice about this band is that not only do they cross genres but they also do so in sub-culture. Since I've been to so many shows, I usually see a 'type' of crowd: punk, hip-hop, hippie, fratboy, yuppy, etc. However, the fans of Scissor Sisters aren't too this or too that. They just are!

I know all the words to the majority of their songs. When I bought 'Tah-Dah' it was playing on repeat on my car stereo for months. They are the only band that has had a hit with all three albums (in my opinion). I am a little scared, therefore, for them to come out with a fourth album because it might sour my already full throttle love affair with the band. But then, I think of videos/songs like 'Invisible Light' which I didn't really care for at first, but then boom, I loved it.



What other band could go through such metamorphosis of sounds and still have the Midas Touch. Literally, all music they touch turns to gold. They released their debut self-titled album in 2004. The album didn't have any definitive genre; yes, it was rock/pop but also so much more. Right away you think David Bowie and Freddy Mercury's love child. The songs are so different though; each one has its own flavor. You have high and low energy, ironic and sincere lyrics. It had great songs like 'Take Your Mama', 'Tits on the Radio', 'Filthy/Gorgeous', and a wonderful cover of Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb' (I didn't even know it was a cover at first and I am a huge fan of Pink Floyd.) Then in 2006 we get 'Tah-Dah' an entirely different sound that reminds me of 1920's/ragtime mixed with high energy punk disco. With songs like 'Land of a Thousand Words', 'I Can't Decide', 'Kiss You Off' (my fave), 'I Don't Feel Like Dancin', and 'Might Tell You Tonight' you get a balance of yin and yang. Then in 2009, we get 'Night Work' which is very 80's with an urban glam rock twist. Songs like 'Any Which Way', 'Invisible Light', 'Night Work', 'Skin Tight', and 'Sex and Violence' put some 80's movie montages right into my brain immediately. I seriously love every single album, every single song!

I have a feeling that the Scissor Sisters are on their way to major stardom, if they haven't gotten there already. After all, last spring they opened up for Lady GaGa and have collaborated with Elton John. However, this is a band that I can truly say I knew about before ANYONE did. I was always saying 'these guys will be big, I just know it.' They have been kindred, loyal friends who were there with me through major turning points in my life. I imagine our friendship will stay strong, and who knows, maybe I'll get to meet them all (and present my scissor pendant hemp necklaces). I have a thing where I make and present hemp necklaces to artists who majorly inspire me to be my best self.

Well here's to you Scissor Sisters. I am proud to be part of the Scissterhood and encourage others to join our ranks. You truly help your fans fight 'fire with fire'. Their lyrics/music is poetry for my soul!

'We knew all the answers
And we shouted them like anthems
Anxious and suspicious
That God knew how much we cheated.'
-'It Can't Come Quickly Enough' from Scissor Sisters

Eternal music lover,

~R~

No comments: